Naturopathic medicine is a system of healing where the root cause of a condition is always investigated and then treated with natural evidence-based therapies. It is a healing art in which the body, mind and soul are considered in the context of the whole person. Forms of treatments – such as botanical medicine, nutrition and lifestyle counselling – are used to promote wellness and prevent illness. Naturopathic medicine emphasises on patient education and a proactive approach to one’s own health.
Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
- First Do No Harm – Primum Non Nocere Naturopathic medicine uses least invasive and harmful methods. It respects one’s healing process by avoid suppressing symptoms.
- Identify and Treat the Causes – Tolle Causam Naturopathic medicine explores underlying causes rather than simply removing apparent symptoms.
- The Healing Power of Nature – Vis Medicatrix Naturae There is an inherent intelligent healing force in all of us. Naturopathic doctors are trained to remove the obstacles that facilitate this force to perform its own healing.
- Doctor as Teacher – Docere Naturopathic medicine emphasises on patient education and a proactive approach to one’s own health.
- Treat the Whole Person Naturopathic medicine is a healing art in which the body, mind and soul are considered in the context of the whole person.
- Prevention Naturopathic medicine recognises that some diseased states can begin before any evident symptoms or signs appear. Working on prevention is an extension of naturopathic medicine.